When selecting colors for your home, select colors that make you happy. These colors should be something that you enjoy to look at and can live with for years to come.
IGNORE the trending colors
IGNORE the recommendations from your neighbor or hairdresser
IGNORE what your children suggest for color
Instead, GO WITH colors that evoke contentment, beauty, happiness…PERIOD! My keen observation over many years is that my clients tend to favor colors that actually enhance their own skin tones. These are the colors that they look good in!!! Naturally, your home should cast you in your best light.
As a seasoned Interior Designer, there are colors that are my “GO TO’S”. I know these colors intimately and can count on the outcome every time. BUT, go bold with your accent colors. I choose colors that reflect the functionality of the room while bringing comfort and joy to the home owners. Do not play it safe here…go full monty! These colors separate you from the pack! Taking the “safe” approach will leave you trapped in bland surroundings.
Decide the function of the room. If you desire a calm environment, color is not critical! Yes, you read that correctly…color is not critical. What is critical is a monochromatic color palette. This simply means you choose predominantly one color and that is on your walls, furnishings, and maybe your floor. This creates a harmonious balance and is very soothing…even if you choose a deep blue! It let’s the eye rest and nothing is spotlighted, every thing is equal in color.
If you want a social, energetic, vibrant environment, choose contrasting colors. These can be harmonious together or can slightly clash…this creates an edgy energy and brings life to this party!
Make it fun with all walls the same color or mix it up and accentuate unusual architectural niches or ceilings.
How to use Black and White?
Both are ideal backdrops for fine artwork.
Both beautifully emphasize and accent architectural elements.
Both are noncompetitive companions to all other colors…a touch of either black or white brings out the best qualities in any room. White should be a bit off white and black should have a bit of deep brown to add richness. To the naked eye, they will just look like a pretty black or white. Trust me on this one!!
Now to actually go select colors
• Consider the colors of the furnishings in the room. Look at colors against the upholstery/textiles (rugs, sofa/chair fabric, wood tone colors of stained case goods), and the lighting in the room (natural from windows, overhead spots/pendants, lamps)
• Go to paint store and collect ANY AND ALL color cards that you love or think may or may not work. Do not edit, these are free so take any and all possibilities.
• At home, look at these color cards with all the pieces of that room, mentioned above. Look at these on a sunny and a cloudy day for morning, noon and evening.
• Go BOLD while making sure it has rich properties that give it longevity.
• Narrow to 3 or less colors. Take these selections to paint store and buy the small sample pot for all three. Make sure to get the proper sheen or flat (as I prefer). Return home and apply all three to a wall to view and decide.
• You have made your selection and now commit to painting the entire room- whether you think it is a right or wrong choice. In 24-48 hours, your eye will accept this change and you will fall in love with this color.
THE RIGHT COLOR CAN CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE ON YOUR LIFE! COLOR IS POWERFUL. HAVE FUN.